I first joined the Sabah State Civil Service towards the end of 1976. Since then another bit of my career began. That was
then the beginning of the Berjaya era. Berjaya party defeated USNO in a state
election. I was then posted to the Ministry of Manpower and Environment
Development as an Administrative Assistant. The permanent secretary was Mr.
Mohd. Tahir Jaafar who later went around to head a number of departments and
carried along the Datukship title. He should be the State Secretary,
but I think he is not born to be one.
It was an ambitious vision
for the state government during that time to set up such a state ministry. It
was far too abstract and wide and at the end of the day The ministry out live
its original functions. Both manpower and environmental are under the
jurisdiction of the Federal government, and furthermore we had not the
expertise to plan and carried out works. It was just like a paper tiger attempt
or perhaps then a political propaganda, just like giving authority over to the
then minster (Datuk Yap Pak Leong) with something better and challenging to
do.
Looking from hind side, however, all is not
lost. Agencies such as the Sabah Tourism Corporation and Sabah National Parks
have established themselves a strong foothold and far more developed then their
pioneer days. The Sabah state civil service is by nature an out dated
bureaucracy. Since I was studying in ITM, and thereafter I read more of the
subject while I pursued my first degree and then my masters. Honestly I am not
an expert in this field; it is more related to management than financial
analysis which is more relevant for me.
However, disregarding all feelings, I like to
approach this subject with an open mind and on a contemporary basis. The
bureaucracy is an organizational system of interrelated functions. In this
context we always refer to a government system, because of its non-profit
motive and all agencies whether statutory, proper or otherwise all interrelated
with regards to funds, manpower and politics, responsibilities and styles or
attitudes.
In laymen term, the bureaucracy makes up the
government machinery. Over years the functions and manpower increases
dramatically following new policies of the government turning the whole system
into a jungle and more of confusions. Perhaps it is better to examine the
structure, functions, management styles, resources, tools, manpower and their
environment. These very basic elements determine the efficiencies of the
bureaucracy.
The basic organization structure of the Sabah
State civil service resembles that of the pyramid probably not due to the needs
but much more of specialization. The danger is the unnecessary expansion let to
the disappearance of responsibilities. This is shown by the hierarchy, in
presumed posts the civil service is headed by the State Secretary and at the
lowest rank the laborers. Similarly, ministers, departments and agencies if
grouped together they formed a hierarchy resulting that of a pyramid. This
feature is normally open to abuse since there is no clear line of demarcation
of responsibilities and authorities because of the inter-related functions and
because a person can hold more than one positions.
It is normal to look at the functions synonymous
with responsibilities. The functions of ministries department and agencies are
normally outlines and define by statues, but it is normal to find overlapping
jurisdictions and this is where we find interrelated functions.
Management styles are absent and the neglected
feature of the state civil service. This may be due to having superficial
knowledge of the subject, untrained and could not careless attitude, and not to
forget the urge to go higher by way of “Angkat dua kaki”. Since the colonial
days, Malay dominates The feudal system and become colonial servants. This may
be due to their loyalty or ‘kesetiaan’ but this feature no longer persists
since the chase for material gains and higher positions rocks the road.
Throughout my many years in the civil service I
find it difficult to search for officers who cleared their desks from files or
pieces of papers with letter-heads. They keep piling them up, perhaps showing
that they are overworked, I once came across a head of department whom I served
under, who liked to equipped his office with unnecessary number of cabinets,
and later on I found out that he used to staked and divide the files and hide
them there. Some are fond of attending meetings, courses seminars and private
dialogues. This habitual is a disease of inferior syndrome. ‘Decision Making’
is always vested on the post and delegated by statute and not on other body,
and not on to a committee as they tend
to be time consuming.
My first assignment was to design a statutory
body with regard to Sabah Tourism Promotion Corporation, way back in the late
1976. I choose the horizontal over the pyramid feature as I like more
decentralization rather than centralization. At the upper level the person in
charge was designated as general manager and without a ‘deputy’ as I never like
a hierarchy built up. I believe at that point in time and still is that some
form of competitions and trust should be practice and this is healthy. Having a
deputy would tend to place the officer next in line a secure position and this
I believe is not healthy. Because should the top person retired, or out of the
way, then there is a little to worry as no second person is to take over by way
of certainty. Unless as in the civil service his position is not confirm. I was
latter assigned to a unit to temporarily take over the functions after the
corporation was freezed.
Later in the late 1979, I was transferred to the
District Office Sandakan as an Assistant District Officer and my boss was Datuk Hj.
Hassan Alban Sandukung. The short time I spend there was enough to give we some
experience of district life, and years later, as I joined back the civil
service again, I made no attempt to go back to this life. Life in a big town
especially in Kota Kinabalu allow me to move around with my family and I place
important to the education of my children. Though life in Kota Kinabalu is far
more expensive then any other towns; I find time to struggle with the small
paycheck to meet ends meet. Life is hard so as to say.
The general orders ‘Perintah Am Negeri Sabah
(1980)” is to my opinion, though a rigid or Draconian extract is far too
out-dated. It contains too many loop holes among others and in humane. Its
interpretations are made by those who hear nothing and see nothing. Say if one
get involved in an accident (like me), the general orders make no provision to
compensate and make no mentioning of sympathy. The relevant rules that cover
promotions in The Sabah Civil Service is left to interpretations and to be
determined by the ‘inner circle’, if one may not get into the promotions
ladder. There is no compassion and going beyond will be trapped by the corrupt
provisions, not to mention the provisions of the Anti Corruption Act. But many
officers live beyond their means and many did not get prosecuted, but
protected. One could always find ways to justify the means. So promotions were
slow for me.
Being familiar with organizations and management
styles I then was assigned to separate the Hydraulics section from the State
Public Work Department (PWD). Basically the PWD was becoming a massive
organization with wide control over development and fundings. Setting up a
Water Departments is necessary to look after the operations and developments of
water supplies. In the long run it will be a feasible business. Its creation
had never been intended to be privatized either in part or as a whole, because
its organization structure is more of contemporary in nature and of a modern
business organization and much less of bureaucratic. Year’s letter, changes
were made to strengthen the enforcement function, but I see the impact is
minimal. There must be total commitments and the management style must change
to incorporate this. More suitable is that, of theory of that is a business
culture must be top down. The idea is if it cannot make money then do away with
their function to absorb it.
For more than ten years in the Ministry of
Infrastructure, I become more of a jack of all trades. I did write a number of
speeches, project papers and cabinet papers. But that was that, my attitude was
not that of a ‘yes man!’ Perhaps this way why I was never given much
consideration for promotions while my juniors climb the rank like running the
steps.
Being transferred to the Land and Survey
Department was a blessing in disguised. I was more of the disciplinary officer
than a planner. Discipline in the department is like cancer in our body.
Corruption in all forms is highly practiced. Officers top down to the lowest
rank own lands here and there because they are in authority. Some disregard the
kampong people and played them out. The irony is few get prosecuted, because
they are never reported, and if they are reported, they would be protected by
and top management top down, supported and protected each other. I guessed
other departments, are the same too, and only on a matter of degree.
But before that, two of my best undertakings
while in the civil service made me one of the most feared strategists. One was
handling the compensation for the taking over of Sabah Electricity Board by
Tenaga National. The other was the creation of Jabatan Air Negeri Sabah. A
friend, a good lawyer Juprin Wong used to point me as a brilliant strategist;
perhaps he is too modest and hopefully honest. Me, I am no body though being
called with so many names; the ‘long hair’, ‘Juragan’ and so on, and not a
point.
In Malay
“saya hanya umpama sebesar hama di lautan samudera”. Nothing special, I just
happen to be in the right place but at the wrong time. I wake and live by my
own principal, whatever.
No comments:
Post a Comment