Prologue
Going
back in time, or looking back to more than five decades or more than
half a century, is not something easy. Just as I open my eyes with
faded visions, more than fifty years had passed by. I used to wonder
why should I study history as a subject during my school days; other
than the attractions of old folks stories, it is just like another
bedtime story. Years later, while doing philosophical classes in
college in the United States, only did I realized that history is
more than just about civilizations or past events, but rather of the
underlying principles which tend to influence our modern way of life.
We have to be serious about history as past events tend to reoccur
though at a varying degree as a matter of opinion. In writing these
bits and pieces of my memories, the secondary purpose is an attempt
to document my roots; of my ancestors, who originally hailed from the
neighborhood state of Brunei Darussalam, and of course of my local
maternal roots.
Our
clan’s composition has over the years outgrown into a large
community spreading all over the states of Malaysia and beyond.
However, I stand to be qualified regarding the accuracy and
superficial work I did with this part, since it sound more of
folklore than that of factual findings and I tender my apologies
should I offend others. Little did I realize that life is so fragile
and in the passing of time many things will be forgotten and only
imaginations and memories left.
Time
passes so quickly as if it flies and there is nothing we can do about
it, let alone, stop or slow it down, maybe for the purpose of slowing
my own aging, I try to forget it. One thing good about time passing
is that it shows the chronological manner of progress or developments
and achievements which are synonym to many of us. Time specifically
provides a space for my life.
It
is not easy to start and write on what had happened during more than
a half century ago. I have a few choises for my style, that is,
either recall my experiences and my imaginations or just be pure
blunt. Either way I just hope that my memories stay as ageing perhaps
affects my state of mind one way or another with only as a matter of
degree.
I
am not a journalist; I did not write and keep notes now and then and
perhaps this is one of my weaknesses. I tend to misplace or say lost
what I partly wrote of my experiences for more than half a century;
and whatever. This may not be pleasant to be read by many, but keep
trying, you may find something useful.
Some
people said, “Forget the past the future still holds the best for
us”. My simple opinion is that the past is always relevant. For if
you forget them, the mistakes that you made in the past will be
repeated. This form the basic of my writing and contemporary is my
style.
No comments:
Post a Comment